Monday, August 31, 2009

Donor Profile #2

Meet Jenny Ramaswamy! Another fabulous supporter of More than a Marathon.


Favorite Bay Area spot: Marin Headlands

Describe the Bay Area in one word: Fantabulous

Graduate University and Degree: University of Chicago, Masters of Social Science with an emphasis in Cultural Psychology

Current Employer: Google

Current Occupation/Title: Marketing Manager

Furthest you've ever run: 26.2 miles (not more than a marathon)

Favorite quote: A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. - Emerson

Current favorite song:



Please describe a significant moment in your education and how it impacted you:

This is a tough one. I am not sure I have one significant moment. I come from a family of teachers. My mother's parents both made their careers and education and all three of their daughters made careers in the local school district. A commitment to education surrounded me and constantly reminded me of how important it was.

Why are you supporting More than a Marathon:

Not everyone is born into a family of educators and unfortunately not everyone in the US has access to high quality education. My husband and I live in SF and are expecting our first child in January. We've already been told that we shouldn't plan to send our children to public schools here. That just isn't acceptable to me. What about the children in this city that don't have the luxury to consider alternatives? We have the ability to bring high quality education to all of our youth - its a matter or prioritizing this above other resource needs. I think what Matt is doing to raise awareness for this issue is admirable. I also appreciate that 100% of my $111.00 donation will go to Teach for America. I look forward to watching Matt cross the finish line and seeing more people in our area take an interest in making education better for everyone in our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment